Global Education Innovation Award



In 2017, 12 innovative initiatives were awarded 10.000 Euro each.

And, 32 initiatives, including the 12 awardees, will be recognised through a publication.

GENE – Global Education Network Europe – recognises the importance of innovation in Global Education through its Global Education Innovation Award. The award benefits Global Education projects that bring about positive change and opens peoples’ eyes and minds to the realities of the world, locally and globally. It promotes Global Education initiatives that bring about this change through creativity, participation, direct action, synergies and innovation, and to ultimately inspire public policy.

Over the past decades, Global Education initiatives have been implemented across many European countries. Whether in non-formal educational contexts, or in schools, as part of the curriculum, Global Education contributes to a change in perspectives, attitudes and behaviours among children, young people, students, educators, teachers, parents, as well as decision-makers and other actors in society. A variety of global-local interconnectedness initiatives have over the years addressed issues including social exclusion, poverty, migration, human rights violations and intolerance and enabled learning of different competencies that range from critical thinking to compassion and empathy.

In a world of stark contrasts, opportunities to change perceptions in new, non-traditional and innovative ways need to be supported, applauded and recognised. In particular, initiatives should be supported that respond to challenging questions, such as “How do we engage people who are not easy to reach?”, or “How can innovative Global Education start to change the perceptions of those whose values differ from those associated with Global Education – tolerance, solidarity, non-violence?”.

GENE is aware that most Global Education funds encourage highlighting results rather than innovation, and leave little or no space for reflecting on failure. Yet, research shows that policymakers and others can learn invaluable lessons from failure, as it often results in new breakthroughs and in creative thought based on new thinking (Nedergaard, P. 2006). Innovation funds in other sectors are happy to fund initiatives that result in 90% failure, on the basis that the remaining 10% represents potential breakthroughs that can elicit a paradigm shift. Why not in Global Education?

For more information, please see the following sections:

Awardees 2017